Tuesday, December 1, 2009

How to be the First to Know

I can be a very busy person at times. Between work, family and obligations at home it is difficult to stay completely informed on everything. One thing I can't stand is junk email. I hate those scam emails that don't go away even when you block the sender. Newsletters can be a bit annoying too and I know plenty of people that agree. Those annoying newsletters can actually be a great resource if you get them from the right sources. Even the busiest of people can still be up on the latest news, no matter how sparse their extra time may be. Here are three good examples of how.
1) Newsletters
Those annoying newsletters, even though they bug me, have actually saved me money and have helped me out plenty of times. To keep from being so annoyed with newsletters, cut down the amount of them you subscribe too. Everyone has accidentally subscribed to a newsletter just to get something free or take advantage of a promotion. If you no longer need that certain subscription, remove yourself from the mailing list. It is easy and nearly every newsletter has the instructions right on it. If there are certain companies and services you use quite frequently, you should think about subscribing to their newsletter because they can provide great information, discounts, and even give subscribers information ahead of the general public.
2) RSS Feeds
Some of us only check our email every so often or we have so many email accounts that we don't care to keep track of them. That is okay. Most internet browsers support RSS news feeds and many websites offer their latest news over such feeds. All you have to do is subscribe to them. It is a quick and convenient alternative.
3) Twitter
Twitter is exploding right now. Everyone has Twitter account. I have more than one. There are great resources for Twitter that are also very helpful. Here is an example of my setup. I have a free Twitter application on my computer and iPod Touch called TweetDeck. TweetDeck allows you to view tweets from multiple accounts and can even let you view status updates from your Facebook account. I have a feature called Growl enabled on my computer. Whenever someone I am following posts a new tweet, a small pop up message will appear in the corner of my screen. And just so you know, the convenience of Twitter is actually quite amazing. I have a specific account where the only users I follow are involved in different areas of news. They usually post a headline with a link to the full story. This enables me to choose what stories I want to read. If I can't read them right away, I can add them to a favorites list and view them later. I have the freedom to pick and choose. It is quite similar to the RSS feed, but you can follow more than just companies and many people on Twitter are very humorous. It's informative and entertaining at the same time!

I get a lot of information from these resources. I find deals on products I really am interested in, free software, opportunities, contests, giveaways, breaking news, special previews, and more. If you don't take advantage of such features, you should consider it. If you want to know more or have questions about this topic, you can always email us: myeconoblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment